Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Blog 12: Progressive Rock

For this assignment I was to find one subgenre of rock and introduce its elements of music along with providing a listening guide. After some debating I’ve decided to go with the subgenre of progressive rock.

Now before I list what I believe to be the elements of progressive rock are I should say that in the process of looking for songs I began to realize that progressive rock seems to need to be split even further into more subgenres. The reason for this is that according to my research songs like Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield and Last Train To London by the Electric Light Orchestra are both classified as progressive rock however it seems to me that songs like these rely on different elements. So I’ve decided to focus more on the types similar to Electric Light Orchestra’s music.

This genre relies on the use of a vocalist who is supported by electric guitars along with a drum kit. Also while it is not required many performers use unusual things to spice up their song such as recording techniques which plays back sounds a sound or unusual instruments. The lyrics tend to be focused more towards love and freedom.





Examples of this can be seen with Last Train To London.
00:00 – Song begins with electric guitar
00:06 – first example of recording technique
00:16 – Singer begins to sing
02:30 – keyboard solo (may be slightly improvised)

No comments:

Post a Comment